Software Development Manager
Proven software engineer and architect with a passion for building high performance agile teams and empowering them to deliver customer value through software and technology.
Recognized by Microsoft as a Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for thought leadership in C#, .NET and DevOps. Head of the opensource NUnit Test Framework development team, a member of the .NET Foundation and a frequent contributor to numerous opensource projects. My opensource packages have been downloaded over 300 million times.
Chief Technology Officer, Reliq Health · Mar 2019 – Mar 2021
Reliq Health Technologies is a rapidly growing technology company focused on developing innovative remote patient monitoring, collaborative care and telemedicine solutions for Community-Based Healthcare.
- Rebooted the company’s software development by building and leading a 22 person agile team working on multiple projects.
- Through architectural and performance improvements, reduced per customer Cloud hosting costs to 1/10th.
- Refactored an early startup application bringing it to enterprise scale.
- Optimized CI/CD processes to deliver value to our customers every sprint.
- Developed a requirements processes that coordinated the work of business, clinical and product management teams ensuring that dev teams were working on business priorities.
Software Development Manager, Bentley Systems · Jun 2017 – Mar 2019
Bentley Systems is the leading global provider of software solutions to engineers, architects, geospatial professionals, constructors, and owner-operators for the design, construction, and operations of infrastructure. Bentley Systems employs more than 3,500 colleagues, generates annual revenues of $700 million in 170 countries.
- Technical lead on the company’s InnerSource project that created processes that allowed teams around the world to contribute to each others’ code using opensource processes.
- Led the company’s One Engineering (1ES) effort that borrowed from Microsoft’s DevOps transformation to move the company to modern DevOps and development practices using the latest tools and dev processes.
- Advised on technology and software architecture trends allowing the company to capitalize on changes in technology.
Principal Software Engineer, Bentley Systems · Oct 2012 – Jun 2017
- Designed and led the development of several cross-platform mobile applications written in C# using Xamarin for the Enterprise market.
- Modernized the technology and architecture of their Asset Performance Management suite of software.
- Led the team’s transition to modern agile dev practices, tools and processes.
- Served on the architectural advisory board, coordinating the technical improvements between suites of products.
Framework Developer, Ivara Corporation · Jan 2005 – Oct 2012
- Converted the company’s flagship product from a 2-tier MFC application to a 3-Tier .NET application. All functionality was maintained while rewriting the product to have a modern user interface and support hundreds of concurrent users.
- In order to deliver on-time and to specifications, pushed the company to adopt agile development practices. Brought test-driven development, continuous builds and an iterative approach to development to the company.
Senior Software Architect, Semaview, Inc. · Dec 2002 – Jun 2004
Semaview was focused on building a more intelligent semantic Web. Semaview’s product EventSherpa, was a desktop calendaring application that can most easily be described as a cross between what Google Calendar and Outlook are today. Was responsible for architecture and the leadership of the team that wrote eventSherpa.
Senior Programmer/Analyst, Livedoor, Inc. · Oct 2000 – Nov 2002
Head of Client Programming for Japan’s first and largest free Internet service provider, Worked closely with the CTO to map out the development plan for the company. Led a software development team of four C++ programmers on two continents.
Senior Programmer/Analyst, X-Stream, Inc. · Jan 1999 – Oct 2000
The X-Stream Network was the UK’s first free Internet Service Provider and became the UK’s fastest growing ISP and its 3rd largest within 12 months. Managed programming teams of three developers working closely with the CTO and the head of server development to design the scalable, efficient systems on which the company was built.
Java Developer, Dreamplay Research · Aug 1998 – Jan 1999
Developed the company’s line of Java casino software and their Java e-Commerce client.
Network Management, CIBC - Intria Networks · Jan 1998 – May 1998
A part of the team that planned and deployed the national IP network linking all CIBC branches and locations.
Technical Support Supervisor, Globalserve · Jan 1997 – Sep 1997
Supervised 10 sales and technical support representatives in a call center, developed their training program, trained 30 new technical support staff and wrote network management tools in C and Perl.
Department of National Defence · May 1987 – Dec 1996
During a ten year career with Canada’s Department of National Defense, worked in Research, Combat Intelligence, and, served with the Canadian Airborne Regiment.
Team Lead, NUnit Framework · Dec 2013 – Present
NUnit is an opensource unit-testing framework for all .Net languages. Rebooted the project and rebuilt the community in 2014, then took over leadership of the team in 2017.
Organizer & Speaker, CoderCamp Hamilton · Oct 2014 – Present
CoderCamp Hamilton is a monthly meetup/mini-conference for local developers to learn tools, techniques, and technologies from one another in a casual and friendly setting.
Instructor, Canada Learning Code · Aug 2018 – Present
Instructor, IEC Hamilton Code Club · Sep 2016 – Apr 2017
Taught coding and web development to grade school students once a week at local schools that wouldn’t otherwise have computer classes.